It seems that some of these issues are arguments against Apache process, so I am not sure what to say about that.

Further, I am not really certain about what is being said here. This thread seems to imply that if we did "rm -rf framework" in our trunk directory, then it would be possible for our bundles to be seen as framework independent and good OSGi citizens. However, since one of our subprojects happens to be a framework implementation, then all of our subprojects are tainted and seen as "Felix-only"? Is that right?

If so, then why would anyone want to work on OSGi-related subprojects at Felix? By this perception, they would be ideologically limiting their audience. I would hope that this isn't the case or if it was it could be corrected.

I would think that if a Felix PMC member felt that we were not doing a good enough job promoting the use of our subprojects on other frameworks, that he would try to propose ways to remedy that situation, not encourage.

For example, perhaps it would be worthwhile for us to create some sort of standard template/table/graphic for each subproject documentation page to clearly inform users whether it is applicable to other frameworks and/or whether it has been tested on other frameworks. Further, I think we could go as far as setting up or documenting mechanisms that make it possible to automatically test our subprojects on other frameworks.

Clearly, not everything need be or can be developed at Felix, but the implication that we might as well accept that Felix bundles will only be used by Felix users seems awfully counter to all of the concepts for which OSGi stands.

-> richard

Alin Dreghiciu wrote:
Beside Niclas points there are some additional facts related to OPS4J:
* it's open participation meaning that virtually anybody can
contribute. No need for patches.
* release process. we tend to release often.

Alin