Keep in mind though that Adobe is still investing in flash and air. They are
just focused on gaming. There probably would be a mobile version if not for the
fragmentation in the market from iOS, causing them to drop off of it. My
understanding is that flex also doesn't work with the latest VM they have been
working on, so maybe they decided not to totally redo it all themselves.

I think that it's correct to think that maintaining an open source VM would be
a lot of work, and keep in mind that just because it's open source doesn't mean
it will be runnable on iOS, unless it's based on javascript somehow. I think
flexjs is set up to compile down as to JavaScript in a basic fashion.

I'm not sure how difficult it would be to update flex to support the latest
runtimes adobe is still supporting but I assume it would be a similar problem
to developing a standalone VM like we've been talking about.

Then there is as4, which I've been told was worked on and possibly even
finished but unreleased. Ideally, I always thought that an as4 release by adobe
would be a good opportunity for flex to do a rewrite to support it but it
appears to be up to Adobe for that to happen. I'm sure a lot of us would like
to see Adobe stick up for Flash more but I think there's a lot of fear and
intimidation kind of holding everyone back that I don't remember existing
before the whole Apple ordeal.

David