Done!  Added mxmlc support which correctly outputs the html files as well.

(There is a bug in the mxmlc script that I had to fix, I will open a new
thread about that)

Try this to get mxmlc to work with npm:

*npm uninstall flexjs -g*
*npm uninstall flexjs*
*npm cache clear*
npm install -g http://bigosmallm.github.io/flexjs/npm/flexjs-0.5.0.tgz

Windows:
mxmlc
"C:\Users\omuppirala\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\flexjs\examples\native\USStatesMap\src\USStatesMap.as"

OSX:
mxmlc /usr/local/lib/node_modules/flexjs/examples/native/
USStatesMap/src/USStatesMap.as

You should see a working index.html in ...USStatesMap/bin/

Thanks,
Om