David Crossley wrote:

As we already knew, one of the difficult parts of this release
is to get the website docs published properly. We think that we have
worked out a better solution and are going to develop that in a new branch.

Okay we have worked on this over the last few days, and we reckon that
we have a good solution. The docs-reorg branch is ready to be merged
back to the trunk. We plan to do that tomorrow before the code-freeze.

I have uploaded the docs to my committer space so that you can see
our solution:
http://people.apache.org/~crossley/docs-reorg/

Sorry I've not provided feedback sooner. I've been away. However, here it is now...

The navigation link to http://forrest.apache.org/0.8/ is still gives a 404. Will this be fixed when the site is deployed? I note that the sub-tab for 0.8 docs goes to a sensible page, so suspect the above is just a hard coded URL issue since it points at forrest.apache.org rather than people.apache.org.

http://forrest.apache.org/0.7/docs.html shows the versions of docs available. It currently only lists 0.6 and 0.7, should we add 0.8-dev?

If I go to the 0.8 docs (which took me an *age* to find, it is not at all intuitive to go to the 0.7 tab in order to get to the 0.8 docs) there is no indication that I am in 0.8. There is no 0.8 tab (no tab is selected either) and the MOTD says I am in 0.7.

If I am on the 0.8 home page at http://people.apache.org/~crossley/docs-reorg/docs_0_80/index.html and I then click on plugins, I am take back to the 0.7 docs at http://people.apache.org/~crossley/docs-reorg/docs/plugins/index.html (no version number).

This last point is the issue I raised concerning r190111 in which the plugin docs were removed from the versioned documentation space. There is currently no way of representing versioned plugins. In my view r190111 needs to be reverted. See http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=111849554800001&r=1&w=2 for discussion.

Ross

Ross