Personally, I would like to see Apache Geode become more modular, even down
to the key low-level functional components, or features of Geode (such as
Querying/Indexing, Persistence, Compression, Security,
Management/Monitoring, Function Execution, even Membership, etc, etc). Of
course, such fine-grained modularity at this point will be very difficult
to achieve in the short-term given the unclear delineation of concerns in
the code, but certainly high-level features such as the Spark Integration,
along with other good examples, such as the eventual HTTP Session
Management, Hibernate support, Memcached integration along with the
eventual rollout of the Redis integration, or even our tooling (jVSD, Gfsh,
etc, etc) are prime candidates to keep separate, with individual
deliverables.

These "other modules" should consume Geode artifacts and not be directly
tied to the Geode "core" (codebase), thus making Geode more modular,
extensible, configurable with different provider implementations
(conforming to well-defined "SPIs") etc.

Spring Data GemFire is one such example that "consumes" GemFire/Geode
artifacts and evolves concurrently, but separately.  More add-ons/plugins
should evolve the same way, and Geode should be the "core", umbrella
project for all the satellite efforts, IMO.

-John

--
-John
503-504-8657