> if you unbundle your spark connector from Geode releases how do you know
that a given Geode release actually works with it?

Because the Spark Connector will depend on (i.e. have been developed and
tested with) a specific version of Apache Geode, and is not guaranteed to
work with downstream releases after that version, nor necessarily before
that version, though, generally, backwards compatibility is always
preferable.

The Spring IO platform is a prime example of a curated set of tested and
guaranteed to work dependencies within and across the entire Spring
ecosystem including all 3rd party dependencies (some 300+ in total).

This is exactly the relationship
<https://github.com/spring-projects/spring-data-gemfire/blob/apache-geode/gradle.properties#L3>
[0]
between Spring Data GemFire and Apache Geode right now.

-j

[0] -
https://github.com/spring-projects/spring-data-gemfire/blob/apache-geode/gradle.properties#L3

--