Alan D. Cabrera wrote:

Anything in trunk or branch is unstable.  Anything in tag is stable.

A tag though represents a single point in time. We really need stable and unstable branches as I tried to characterise them in the mail that started this thread.

We can easily support your scenario and keep w/ standard SVN usage by doing:

geronimo/transaction/branches
geronimo/transaction/tags/1_0
geronimo/transaction/tags/1_2
geronimo/transaction/tags/1_3
geronimo/transaction/tags/2_0
geronimo/transaction/tags/2_3
geronimo/transaction/trunk

The problem I saw with that was how someone would easily check out the whole tree in order to build from source. I think DB had the same concern.

Hmm, that's a good point. I think that your example suffers the same problem, no? I think that you either are able to treat modules as separate projects and get the configurability that you want or you get a nice way to svn co; I'm not sure that we can get both.

Brian's externals idea may address some of that but at the cost of additional commit complexity.

--
Jeremy