On Feb 9, 2008, at 2:01 PM, Davanum Srinivas wrote:

Kevan,

I followed the discussion. You said that "Yes. The automatic download is the issue.". I don't think that is the case...I believe the "clear guidance" kicks in when we *ship* a distribution with some other license on that page. So i thought
we should get clarification on that point.

related question, Are we at this point picking/shipping either the plugin or the mysql jars into our distribution?

Hi Dims,
The roller plugins are not included in Geronimo 2.1. We will want to release the roller plugin at some point. So, will need to clear up this point before then.

Thanks for the clarification. So, is this your question?

Is it ok to release an Apache product which will automatically, without user prompting, download a prohibited work?

The product in question is the Apache Geronimo roller-mysql-database plugin which has a dependency on a "prohibited work" (i.e. a MySQL jar which is GPL with a FLOSS exception). The building of the plugin would download a MySQL jar into a users maven repository. The MySQL jar would *not* be included in the Geronimo roller-mysql-database plugin binary. However, the subsequent installation of this plugin would cause the Geronimo server to automatically download and install the MySQL jar, without notifying the user.

IMO, the answer is no, you can't. Not by default and not without notifying the user. Am happy to get clarification, if you (or anyone else) think otherwise or aren't sure...

I think the basic options are:

1. Don't make roller-mysql-database part of the standard build (and don't release a roller-mysql-database binary). The user can use a non- standard build option to create the plugin, as long as he/she is notified. 2. Make the roller-mysql-database part of the standard build, but remove the MySQL dependency. This binary can be built and released by our project. However, the MySQL jar must be installed -- either manually by the user or by some tool which properly notifies the user.