On Feb 9, 2008, at 8:17 PM, Davanum Srinivas wrote:

Kevan,

You are right. We have a new mechanism for triggering prohibited works. We need to get this to the attention of the legal-discuss folks so they cover that angle in addition to just the "ship" angle that they have looked at so far.

Would specifying "<scope>provided</scope>" provided in the pom.xml for mysql be enough to geronimo from downloading mysql when the plugin is installed? I am not that worried about pulling in that jar into our maven repo when we
create/build our distribution, as long as we don't ship it.

The scope won't have any effect. We do have the option of specifying the mysql jar as a prerequisite which will prevent installation of the plugin unless the mysql jar is already present, presumably because someone who is aware of the licensing concerns has explicitly installed it.

I don't know if we've checked that this works properly with a jar rather than car (geronimo plugin) dependency but theoretically it would work.

I don't think this a very elegant solution but it may be the best we can do in the near term. I guess I'm dreaming of a "license filter" that you can set up and then plugins can download dependencies consistent with the licenses you have allowed.

To reiterate, we (asf) would never be shipping the mysql jar, but as currently set up, anyone installing the mysql roller plugin would be installing the mysql jar into their geronimo server.

thanks
david jencks

thanks,
dims