From my point of view --

- 3.0-beta is only sort of based on karaf, and it's a really old karaf.
Instead of building on top of karaf we copied and rewrote a bunch of stuff.
This was expedient but for the long term a bad idea.  You may not find it easy
to install non-geronimo stuff and get it to work well with geronimo stuff.

- karaf 3.0 hasn't really worked yet.  There are still problems with the
pax-url-aether handler.   This made working on geronimo trunk extremely
frustrating -- typically no matter what you do, the url handler downloads
antique remote versions rather than the local ones you just built.  I've been
waiting for karaf to stabilize and my paid working time has been moved to other
projects, at least for now.

I'm still not convinced karaf 3 has a reasonable plan for mvn urls, this topic
just came up again there, I'll have to see if I can explain my concerns
comprehensibly over there.

thanks
david jencks