Thank you David and Russell for your candid feedback.

It looks like I will have to follow Russell's suggested approach and setup a
local Maven repo, which I had done before, so it shouldn't take me too long
to get going.

Also, regarding the Apache SVN: If I try to access
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/server/trunk which resolves to
eris.apache.org (140.211.11.4), the request times out for me. However, if I
go to the EU mirror hosted on harmonia.apache.org I can access and checkout
the sources.

I can, however, ping the svn.apache.org server.