I found out that the gradle maven plugins can generate invalid POMs due to
invalid version syntax. This is becuase most gradle users use the Ivy
syntax, but that is illegal in the maven POM. Since Gradle supports both Ivy
and Maven dependency version syntax, we could translate the version to maven
when generating the pom.

I would be glad to help implementing this, because i use lot of projects
with both maven and gradle users. I created this thread on the advice of
Peter in the  initial forums topic
<http://forums.gradle.org/gradle/topics/maven_publish_creates_invalid_dependency_version_numbers>

. But i am really new to Gradle development, actually i am also not deeply
experienced as a user, and i could not even get IntelliJ to import the
Gradle codebase correctly. :S