You may want to track https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-15339 as
a parent for date-tiered compaction improvements. Current compaction policy
is useful in its own, but handling existing data, bulk loading etc will be
improved with these subtasks. I think the patches can land before the 1.3
timeframe, but of course open for discussion for inclusion. My vote would
be to include all the improvements since it would be easier to tell the
story to users.

Enis