It may not be pretty, but I find it legible and generally easy to
navigate so I hope those attributes won't be lost.

Also, it's important not to break any links.

If the site is no longer built using Maven, then it may be difficult
to preserve all the links (e.g. project info page links).

It appears to be possible to use Markdown with Maven:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/14829190/how-to-use-markdown-for-maven-project-site

Ideally anchors (internal page links) will also be maintained as far
as possible.

S.