Ryan Bloom wrote:

> You know what's really funny?  Every time this has been brought up before,
> the Apache core has always said, if you want to have gzip'ed data, then
> gzip it when you create the site.  That way, your computer doesn't have to
> waste cycles while it is trying hard to serve requests.  I personally stand by
> that statement.  If you want to use gzip, then zip your data before putting it
> on-line.  That doesn't help generated pages, but perl can already do gzip, as
> can PHP.

Gzip'ing html into files is a hopeless waste of disk space and clutter.
That means for every file you have to have a gzipped and non-gzipped
version for browsers that cannot handle it. Then you have to configure
Apache to check for and serve the proper file to the proper browser. It
makes Web page maintenance a severe PITA as you have to re-gzip a doc
everytime it is modified and upload both files.

--
Jerry Baker

PGP Key: http://www.jerrybaker.org/pgp.html

LAME MP3 Encoder Binaries: http://www.jerrybaker.org/lame/