From: "Ryan Bloom" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, December 13, 2001 4:00 PM

> If you want to make this work for the most modules possible, create a single
> model that all modules must implement, and make that perform the best
> that it can.

That's exactly what I'm saying ... 1.3 had two flavors, by-name and by-pattern,
and threw them all into one heap.  Do we agree we can ignore the by-pattern
cruft, add a handler_name arg to an ap_register_handler() fn, and invoke by
exact match one specific handler?

The other case (by-pattern) should have been treated seperately in the first
place.  Rather than waiting for the handler phase, the module either gets
invoked by an explicit AddHandler/SetHandler directive, or the very sophisticated
module can play games in the fixups phase, changing the handler string to itself
when it is 'interested' in taking the request.

Is this an agreeable pattern to everyone?

Bill