On Tue, 28 May 2002, Joshua Slive wrote:

> Include is really only a convenience to the administrator.  It can't be
> used for distributed management, because anyone with write access to one
> of these directories could easily crash the server at the next restart.

and that is different from having write access to the directory
the config file is in... how?

There are many people don't go out and edit files on production
servers using editors that drop turds around, and just because it
isn't appropriate for those that do...  They may generate various
files that make up configurations and automatically push them, etc.
Sure, they could combine them all into one file as part of the
generation, and that is what I would do.  However there are reasons
for wanting to keep them separate, depending on the environment
and exactly what sort of config information you are generating.