On Wed, 10 Jul 2002 08:29:06 -0700 (PDT)
Joshua Slive <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Jul 2002, Lars Eilebrecht wrote:
>
> > According to Ravindra Jaju:
> >
> > > How about an extra echo:
> > >
> > > if [ "x`$aux/getuid.sh`" != "x0" -a "x$port" = "x" ]; then
> > >   conf_port="8080"
> > >   echo "Non-root process. Server will run on port $conf_port"
> > > fi
> >
> > +1
> >

> I don't see how that helps.

As Dirk pointed out, that trick was *default* with Apache 1.3.x. I
personally (and I bet a lot of people out there) simply got used to this
behaviour, and it's a little bit confusing, that new build system acts
differently. That "newbie vs. guru" problem IMO schould not be
considered a valid reason to review this change. I'm with Dirk here
(that is: his oryginal patch, without that echo above).

Since we are talking about build system, let me bring something else up.
Old APACI configure at the end of 'make install' was echoing an ASCII
table with some information (install ok, conf file here, apachectl
there, etc.). This also vanished from 2.0.x build system, but remains in
binary releases. Even if I don't need that personally -- this is another
thing that it is a little bit confusing. After all, adding a no-deps
target that echoes some ASCII stuff can't be thaht hard with
autoconf/automake?

my $cents = 2;

regards,
--