* Jim Jagielski ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote :
> Ryan Bloom wrote:
> >
> > We have fixed our installation step to preserve existing config files,
> > so if you compile as a non-root user, and install over the top of an
> > existing installation, your port won't change.
> >
> > This only has to do with how the server is configured the FIRST time the
> > server is installed.
> >

> Which is the case with 1.3 as well, BTW.

It doesn't matter how many times it happens, or how many hysterical raisins
there are, it's still wrong behaviour.
We can't change options under someone just because their compilation
environment doesn't match our expectations.
As Joshua says, this catches a lot of people out. We should put a warning in
the INSTALL file to point out you have to have root privs to attach to port
80, but we should not be changing anything that is runtime configurable
unless the user explicitly asks for it.
Cheers,
-Thom
--
Thom May -> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

> Personally, I quite like the little pictures they display when things are
> scanned.  Just so you know what a zucchini looks like before you go
> throwing your money away on one.
"Oh shit! Is that zucchini? It said OREOS on the shelf!"