On Sun, 13 Oct 2002, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> At 03:33 PM 10/13/2002, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> >> Then I want to clarify ... you both object to the statement that developers
> >> within HTTP should be free to work on what they want.  Obviously, you are
> >> both stating that we should not introduce 2.1 anytime real soon now.
> >>
> >> Therefore, you are stating that developers are not free to introduce radical
> >> new code at the present moment, and only things that fit within Apache 2.0
> >> [subject to perpetual debate over what exactly what fits within 2.0] are open
> >> for community development efforts.
> >
> >Bill, I'm sorry, but you aren't reading the e-mails that have been
> >sent.  You want to branch 2.1 so that people can make radical changes.  We
> >are saying feel free to create patches with radical changes.  Once people
> >can see the patches, we can decide if they belong in 2.1, 2.0, or if we
> >don't want them in Apache at all.
>
> You haven't read a single email on this thread.  The ENTIRE POINT of this
> thread is that we have a radical change.  Auth.  Two Bills and who knows
> whom all else may concur that we can't reasonably force this change
> into 2.0 for docs and upgrade reasons.
>
> So we have a radical change.  I proposed we create 2.1 to incorporate auth.

I've read them all.  We discussed this before the patch was incorporated
into the release.  The majority do NOT believe it is radical enough to
warrant 2.1.  No matter how many times you ask for 2.1 for the auth work,
the majority don't believe it warrants it.

> >Please finally go back and read the messages where people have explained
> >why they don't want to branch.  Also, as for the auth stuff, you seem to
> >have completely ignored that Greg has offered a solution that might create
> >backwards compat for the users with the new auth work.
>
> Greg's post does not address the Docs issue.  I'm waiting for someone
> to offer constructive feedback.  As I wrote in my response to Justin, I did
> try to wrap my brain around documenting both pre and post auth in the
> same /docs-2.0/ tree.  It didn't make any sense.  Perhaps someone else
> can do better.

I will write the docs to handle both.  I commit to having them done by the
end of the week.

Ryan
Ryan Bloom                              [EMAIL PROTECTED]
550 Jean St
Oakland CA 94610