--On Tuesday, February 18, 2003 1:25 AM -0600 "William A. Rowe, Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Justin, could you *please* find a better way to say what you were
(rightly) trying to convey about the keys file, below?
I welcome constructive comments, but we should indicate how we want people to verify our KEYS. We need a statement to this effect.

It's a little absurd to try to have folks chasing us down for sigs
at home. Don't we all get enough oddball private inquiries?
The original suggestion was to put a phone number on the contributors web page where we could be reached. I feel direct email is a more appropriate forum. Sending an email to the developers list (dev@httpd) isn't appropriate because the KEYS file serves for the entire project (which consists of many subprojects that can release on their own - flood, mod_python, etc.).

We could create keys@httpd and people willing to verify keys could subscribe there. (I'd almost suggest using security@httpd.)

A much more rational approach would be a resource of 'HTTPD
developer meets', a web page where we could *announce* our presence
and the opportunity for the users to come to us?  (A.C.,
LinuxWorld, et al?)
Expecting our users to be at conferences is a bit much. It's hard enough to get httpd developers to attend ApacheCon never mind other conferences.

As an RM to one who hasn't RM'ed, you are a bit out of line putting
this on each and every RM.  I do get very infrequent requests to
verify my key, and have the means to do so.  It doesn't belong in
the KEYS file to put ideas in their heads, however, or I will have
to quit doing so even for the  ultra paranoid, educated users who
deserve the courtesy ;-)
*ahem* I have RMed, thank-ya-very-much.

I only said to contact the RM after failing to contact a person in your area. I think it's reasonable, but perhaps a specific verification mailing list would ease your troubled mind? -- justin