"Justin Erenkrantz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Well, there are a number of issues that I think we'd need to hash
> out before thinking about what comes next.  Should we open 2.1
> now?  I don't think so.  But, should we in three or four months?
> Perhaps - it depends how 2.0 goes.

Good... You scared the bejesus out of me :)

> A much more important question that we need to start thinking
> now about is how set are we on this module API?  Are we going to
> allow changes to go into 2.0 that require module authors to
> modify their code?  I believe I'm pretty dead set against that.
> 2.0 API is now closed.  If we want to change the API, we need
> to do it in a 2.1.  But, I think we need a set policy.  That
> requires discussion here on-list.  Hopefully, we can start
> that now.  I believe the answer to this question dictates how
> soon we open 2.1/3.0.

And as a module writer, I'd like to see that API carved in stone for a
_long_ time now... It's basically only 3 months that I (in my extreme
dumbness of C, I admit) can write an Apache 2.0 module without starting to
cry trying to figure out what segfaults (my code or your code)...

Before someone will pick up and try out _my_ modules, it'll take _AT_LEAST_
another six months good, and after that, I'd really like to get some
vacation and try to get a girlfriend rather than chasing web-servers :)

> But, we'd also benefit (IMHO) from a meeting face-to-face where
> a majority of our developers can go to.  I'm just curious how
> many of our developers would *not* attend ApacheCon Las Vegas
> in November.  If we have enough that can't make it, I think it
> warrants us considering other options for meeting.  Perhaps
> I might be the only one who can't/won't make it.  If so, then
> so be it.  -- justin

Do it on this side of the pond and I'm game... :) Or another good chance
would be Oreilly's Open Source conference in San Diego in late July (just
because I'm going to be there) or around that area (CA) around that time.

    Pier

--
I think that it's extremely foolish to name a server after the current U.S.
President.                                                 B.W. Fitzpatrick