On Sun, 16 Nov 2003, Jeff Trawick wrote:
> The point was not to blame anybody.  Instead, I don't believe there are so many
> people as you imply.  Many of the people who are no longer developing have
> moved on to other interests/work/etc. and have dropped out of httpd dev because
> of that.
>
> If somebody is no longer working on [EMAIL PROTECTED] because they feel
> disenfranchised, it is fair to point out that their skills are still very
> useful even if they don't want to mess with 2.x.

But the message they have gotten is that they are useful as bug fixers and
documenters only.  All the fun stuff is reserved for people working on
Apache2.  If that is an incorrect impression then we need to shout this
from the rooftops and put up a big sign inviting people to submit any
outstanding cool patches for 1.3 along with ideas for things they would
like to see added.

Basically I see us back in the NCSA days right now.  The ASF has mostly
abandoned Apache1 and we are in that transition phase where people are
looking at each other waiting for someone to step up and continue
development on the code that everyone is using.  That is how Apache was
born to begin with.

-Rasmus