From: Graham Leggett [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, July 20, 2004 10:12 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: Tomcat Developers List
Subject: Re: Invitation to HTTPD commiters in tomcat-dev

Henri Gomez wrote:

> And what about using AJP/1.3 instead of HTTP for connection to tomcat
?)

In all my deployments of tomcat I have never seen the point of a custom
protocol that did exactly what HTTP does, so all my tomcat deployments
are all HTTP, with a simple mod_proxy frontend.

Even the "get Apache to server static content" feature wasn't enough of
a drawcard, as proper HTTP cache handling and a suitable cache solved
this problem. It was far more important for me to arrange the web
application as a self contained unit - I would rather be more tidy with
an install at the expense of a slightly higher load, than sacrifice a
clean install to save some cycles.

> - If you add load-balancing/fault-tolerance and AJP 1.3 support in
>   mod_proxy you'll have about 99% of the current functionalities of
>   jk 1.2.x.
>
> We discussed also the need for some dynamic mapping and topology
> discovery/update (between Apache and Tomcats Clusters).

Proxy has a placeholder in it that says "put the code to make decision
about load balancing etc here" - all that is needed is a hook and a
module "proxy_loadbalancing.c" to make it happen.

> And in fine, we like to have some JMX like functionnalities in Apache
2,
> in our case CMX for C Management Extension, a way to update Apache 2.x
> configuration while the server is running...

This is possibly a whole separate project in itself.

I have been meaning to work on a get-apache-config-out-of-ldap extension

for a while, what it really should be is "get apache config out of
wherever", but this should be an Apache wide thing, not limited to a
single module or technology.

Regards,
Graham