One of the big advantages of using a connector from Apache to Tomcat
is so that Apache can do what it does best, serve static content.
And Tomcat can do what it does best, handling requests for servlets/JSP
dynamice content passed to it from Apache.

Another advantage is that apache can act as a load balancer for
multiple Tomcat application servers.

Regards,

Glenn

On Tue, Jul 20, 2004 at 09:07:06AM -0600, Wayne Frazee wrote:
> Please pardon me for attempting to marshall the obvious however what is
> the advantage of AJP/1.x over HTTP?
>
> Why is it worth the development time of apache volunteers?
>
> And why is AJP so advantageous over HTTP/1.1 that we should redesign
> existing modules to use it?
>
> I do apologize but I am not really familiar with the inner workings of
> tomcat as no webhost I have worked for to date has really pushed it.  I
> think the answers to these questions would be useful for all of us who
> are more-or-less "pure" apache users/devs...
> --
> Wayne S. Frazee
> "Any sufficiently developed bug is indistinguishable from a feature."
>
> On Tue, 2004-07-20 at 08:51, Henri Gomez wrote:
> > Manni Wood wrote:
> >
> > - Could mod_proxy be open to support AJP/1.x as tomcat connections ?
> >
> > - Should we learn from mod_proxy to redesign something using AJP ?
> >

> > Many questions which need experts answers...

Glenn Nielsen             [EMAIL PROTECTED] | /* Spelin donut madder    |