Wayne Frazee wrote:

Please pardon me for attempting to marshall the obvious however what is
the advantage of AJP/1.x over HTTP?

- Persistant connections, mod_jk use a pool of socket connections to avoid reopening connections between Apache and Tomcats. You could set socket timeout to make these sockets more or less persistant. Also socket keep alive could be specified to avoid firewall cut connexions without activity.

- AJP/1.3 reuse Apache headers decoding to avoid duplicate works in
  both Apache 2 and Tomcat, these headers are sent binary serialized.

- AJP/1.4 (AJP/1.3 successor), add negociation support :

  - Apache and tomcat could be used in a secure mode, ie they should
    share the same secret word.

  - Possible add-on is to provide compression and/or crypt of datas
    between Apache and Tomcat.

   - AJP/1.4 should add a 'service layer' which should be used to warn
     about topology update.

Why is it worth the development time of apache volunteers?

Well development is allready here, we only need to extract all AJP stuff in a separate library (discussed in tomcat-dev).

And why is AJP so advantageous over HTTP/1.1 that we should redesign
existing modules to use it?

The initial invitation was Apache 2.x module expert advices to design
at the best the jk/jk2 possible successor. We didn't ask any httpd
member to work on it (even if there is some people involved in tomcat-dev/jk/jk2 allready involved in APR and Apache 2, ie Jean-Frederic Clere).

I do apologize but I am not really familiar with the inner workings of
tomcat as no webhost I have worked for to date has really pushed it.  I
think the answers to these questions would be useful for all of us who
are more-or-less "pure" apache users/devs...

Yes.