Wayne Frazee wrote:

Please pardon me for attempting to marshall the obvious however what is
the advantage of AJP/1.x over HTTP?

- binary protocol - it used to be more efficient to process it in java, but now it's no longer a major issue
- bidirectional - it's not used only for request/response forwarding
- ability to pass more than the request itself - like information about authentication, etc.

AJP is more like XDR or DCOP, used for inter-process communication. But the main use is to forward requests and responses.

Why is it worth the development time of apache volunteers?

I think some apache-tomcat volunteers are willing to spend the time, they just ask apache-httpd volunteers for advice and help :-)

And why is AJP so advantageous over HTTP/1.1 that we should redesign existing modules to use it?

That was one of the ideas - to extend mod_proxy. I'm not sure it's the best solution, it may be better to keep mod_proxy simple :-)

Costin

I do apologize but I am not really familiar with the inner workings of tomcat as no webhost I have worked for to date has really pushed it. I think the answers to these questions would be useful for all of us who are more-or-less "pure" apache users/devs...