[answering this backwards]

On 08 Jul 2011, at 4:10 AM, Nick Kew wrote:

I am therefore vetoing this move of apr_ldap from APR to httpd.

Hang on!  How long ago did this move happen, and when did you
first raise concerns?

The move happened on the 31st of May, and my concerns were first raised that same day:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/httpd-cvs/201105.mbox/%3c20110531171012.dfc812388...@eris.apache.org%3E

http://www.mail-archive.com/dev%40apr.apache.org/msg24081.html

In reply I asked "Can you point out for me the thread on the dev@httpd list when this was decided? Why are we discussing changes to httpd on the dev@apr list?". This particular question was ignored.

Further on in the thread I made the following statement:

http://www.mail-archive.com/dev%40apr.apache.org/msg24086.html

"Leaving end users to discover that whole APIs have mysteriously disappeared without warning or explanation, without those APIs having been marked as deprecated, is grounds for a veto. So is the idea that another project will tolerate a code dump from one project to another, with the corresponding disruption to vendors that will result. In addition, APR has been a standalone library, depended on by many projects external to the ASF for many years, APR is not part of httpd, and code isn't interchangeable between them."

This statement was not challenged.

I eventually formally vetoed the move on 26 June as I warned I would do after the disastrous attempt to release v2.3.13 of httpd:

http://www.mail-archive.com/dev%40httpd.apache.org/msg51301.html

This veto has to date been ignored, and the grounds for the veto as stated remain unchallenged by wrowe.

Regards,
Graham