On Tue, Mar 7, 2017 at 10:17 AM, Eric Covener <cove...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 7, 2017 at 10:32 AM, William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
> wrote:
>> It seems we should have the framework process the bin/envvars (in the normal
>> path,  or /etc/apache2 in this case)... but that should be based on
>> retrieving the
>> pathname of bin/envvars from apxs, and apxs doesn't have this info (it also
>> does
>> not have two distinct entitites for the progname and config file name,
>> requiring
>> that both be overridden if the progname is changed.)
>
> Having a bit of trouble sorting out these two, but they don't seem to
> affect the conf filename
>
> Apache-Test/lib/Apache/TestConfig.pm
>   httpd           => 'server to use for testing (default is $bindir/httpd)',
>   target          => 'name of server binary (default is apxs -q TARGET)',
>
> e.g. this works for me:
>
> perl Makefile.PL  -apxs ~/SRC/httpd-trunk/built/bin/apxs -httpd
> ~/SRC/httpd-trunk/built/bin/apachectl

Interesting, you are right... overriding -httpd doesn't affect target.

My comment was that having an alternate target name, e.g. httpd.prefork
or httpd.worker ends up resulting in $prefix/conf/httpd.prefork.conf as the
derived config file name (although that file is actually httpd.conf). The
fact that TARGET was overloaded as both the name of the binary and conf
file had caused me grief in the past. Splitting these two in apxs could
prove helpful to others. Adding the path-to-envvars would also be very
good.

If some variable from apxs would help us identify that /etc/apache2 is
the current home of envvars ... then we can probably work around this
missing bit of apxs info.