On Thu, Feb 15, 2018 at 12:06 PM, Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm> wrote:
> On 15 Feb 2018, at 5:03 PM, William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
>
>> I've long been in favor of every httpd struct having an exposed _create()
>> function. It hadn't occurred to me to expose either a _sizeof() or _copy()
>> accessor, but mod_ftp could use this (until Stefan introduced the idea of
>> run time server_rec merging.)
>>
>> What is the preference? _sizeof() or _copy()?
>
> I’m guessing they’re both useful. The implementations could in theory be
> macros?

How does a macro solve binary compatibility?

The point is to ensure that sizeof(struct given_rec) changes in a
previously compiled module, when the core httpd is upgraded and more
members added to struct given_rec, that the entire given_rec contents
are copied to their new buffer, without being aware of the contents or
purpose of those unanticipated new members.