Ah, I see. I created a script that does the tagging based on the directions
here.
http://httpd.apache.org/dev/release.html

It was unclear in those instructions that one should commit the change to
AP_SERVER_DEVBUILD_BOOLEAN.

Instead I did the following:
#    Set AP_SERVER_DEVBUILD_BOOLEAN to 0 in include/ap_release.h.
perl -pi -e 's/(#define\s+AP_SERVER_DEVBUILD_BOOLEAN\s+)\d/${1}0/g'
include/ap_release.h

#    Create an official X.Y.Z tag based on the candidate tree.
svn copy "$src_dir" "$tags_dir/$version"

#    Revert the change to include/ap_release.h setting
AP_SERVER_DEVBUILD_BOOLEAN back to 1, and bump AP_SERVER_PATCHLEVEL_NUMBER
perl -pi -e '
  s/(#define\s+AP_SERVER_DEVBUILD_BOOLEAN\s+)\d/${1}1/g;

  if(/(#define\s+AP_SERVER_PATCHLEVEL_NUMBER\s+)(\d+)$/){
    $new = $2 + 1;
  }
  ' include/ap_release.h

This begets a tarball that has the Boolean set to 0, but no commit/revert/bump
(instead just an apparent bump):
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/httpd/httpd/tags/2.4.30/include/ap_release.h?view=markup#l47

It makes sense that the tag comes from a specific commit where the variable was
flipped...  Should I adjust the script and retry?

--
Daniel Ruggeri