Le 18/04/2018 à 21:00, Luca Toscano a écrit :

Before joining the httpd project as contributor I struggled to find good technical sources about how the httpd internals work, especially when it comes to important bits like mpm-event and how its architecture can be compared with other products. One of my first tasks was to improve the mpm-event's documentation page, and it took me a ton of time to understand a very high level overview of it (plus a lot of people patiently tried to explain to me how things were working). Without good "authoritative" references a lot of people can write whatever they want on httpd, because there are too few people that can scan the web and discuss inaccuracies (https://xkcd.com/386).

I keep struggling with internals in these days, even if I check httpd's code daily, so I can't imagine somebody not involved in the project that tries to make a comparison between httpd and product X, when the latter has a ton of good explanation about how it works in detail (most of the times with a lot of really explicative graphics attached).

My point is: blogging is fine, but before even starting that I'd focus on dumping everybody's knowledge in sections of the docs like http://httpd.apache.org/docs/trunk/developer <http://httpd.apache.org/docs/trunk/developer>. It is boring and less fun than writing C code for sure, but I bet that a ton of people would enjoy details about how things work. It will be easier for people to spot "liars" in the web that focus their marketing strategy only on how httpd is "old" and not performant too..

+1

There are some books around about these internals. Some can be downloaded in pdf. I also from time to time give a look at http://www.fmc-modeling.org/category/projects/apache/amp/Apache_Modeling_Project.html which gives a nice overview, which I hope, is still correct.

CJ