> On 18 Apr 2018, at 20:00, Luca Toscano <toscano.l...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Before joining the httpd project as contributor I struggled to find good
> technical sources about how the httpd internals work,

Likewise.  That’s kind-of what motivated me to start writing about it.

But that’s not to say it’s any worse than other software projects I’ve
encountered over the years.
There’s always a learning curve, and a struggle to find relevant docs.  OK,
things have improved
a lot since “just google it” became an option, but information still needs
unearthing.

Are you suggesting httpd is somehow *worse* than other software you’ve hacked
in terms of
developer documentation?  In my experience it’s actually a lot better than
most, due primarily to
the high standard of API docs in /include/ and in APR, and of course open and
searchable source.
The contrast is closed source software, where docs inevitably diverge badly
from reality.
I’ve mused about this in the past: for example
https://bahumbug.wordpress.com/2006/11/06/the-documentation-gap/
https://bahumbug.wordpress.com/2008/09/16/security-by-cookery/

> My point is: blogging is fine, but before even starting that I'd focus on
> dumping everybody's knowledge in sections of the docs like
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/trunk/developer. It is boring and less fun than
> writing C code for sure, but I bet that a ton of people would enjoy details
> about how things work. It will be easier for people to spot "liars" in the
> web that focus their marketing strategy only on how httpd is "old" and not
> performant too..

I’ve called out “liars” once or twice.  Or more usually, purveyors of
“cargo-cult” whose idea
of Apache is rooted in how things haven’t been since 1997 or so.  But I’m not
sure they’re
really the issue.  nginx has risen primarily because it’s a genuine solution,
and secondarily
because it’s had the evangelical community that goes with a challenger against
an
incumbent.  Now that it’s risen to be a competitor on more equal terms, the
evangelism
still has momentum.  Insofar as we care about market share, we could respond in
kind,
preferably avoiding the wilder fringe.

—
Nick Kew