> On Apr 19, 2018, at 4:35 PM, David Zuelke <dzue...@salesforce.com> wrote:
>

> Of course, but that's exactly my point. It was introduced not in
> 2.4.0, but in 2.4.17. Five "H2…" config directives are available in
> 2.4.18+ only, one in 2.4.19+, and three in 2.4.24+.

But why does it matter that h2 was added in 2.4.x instead of
a 2.6.0? Every new feature must bump the minor? Even if
there is no corresponding ABI issue?

You wrote:
  It makes such little sense to land h2 support in 2.4.something, as
  opposed to having it as an official "brand new, try it out" subproject
  first, and then bundle it with 2.6.

h2 was a '"brand new, try it out" subproject', external
to httpd. It was brought in via a generous donation of
code and because there was a desire and "need" for it to
be an official part of the distro.

In general, even though PHP says that all "New feature"
must be in a Minor bump, this has not ever been the
case for httpd. Otherwise we'd be up to version 2.223.x
by now, after having left version 1.6542.x :)

And finally, it's not quite apples/apples comparing
language version numbering to *server software* versioning,
especially when there is a large, external module eco-system
for the server software that relies on the minor number
being "only" ABI related.