On Mon, Mar 07, 2022 at 01:28:19PM +0200, Graham Leggett wrote:
> On 07 Mar 2022, at 11:21, Stefan Eissing <ste...@eissing.org> wrote:
>
> > I'd really like, as a reviewer of backports, you can:
> > - see that it passes all our tests. No need to patch/compile/test locally.
>
> “No need to patch/compile locally" is not a good idea - currently the
> travis tests target Ubuntu only, and this is a practical limitation
> forced upon us by the nature of the Travis service. I want to see
> reviewers try out the patch on different architectures. I for example
> work on MacOS, but deploy to Redhat, so those are my two environments.
> Others will have different environments.
>
> Our testing needs to be wide and diverse.

Definitely +1 on the sentiment and I'm keen to help with any effort to
add more diversity to the CI.  Travis natively supports a bunch of
non-Linux platforms so if someone cares about that they should be able
to hook it up by tweaking the .travis.yml.
https://docs.travis-ci.com/user/reference/overview/

(I'll note the empty APLOGNO() check in question here was added because
some Windows build broke for that case and it blocked a release, IIRC.)

> This way we learn far more than what Github will give to us. Has my
> patch been broken by another backport ahead of it and is now stale?
> Very useful to know. It would be nice to be told “your patch is stale”
> in CI rather than finding that out when the backport is applied.

You get this in Github PRs at least if mergeability test fails.

Regards, Joe