Hi:

I am not familiar with the GitHub discussion feature, but could we start
> with GitHub Issue tags + templates to distinguish between actual issues vs
> this kind of questions? Why is that not sufficient?

It's one possible solution, but as I have mentioned, it mixes with
bug/issue tracking in github issues. Github discussion is more like a forum
for users, and as Piotr mentioned, we have observed positive engagement in
other projects, such as apache datafusion
<https://github.com/apache/datafusion/discussions> , apache opendal
<https://github.com/apache/opendal/discussions> .

The dev list is still the place for developer/contributors discussing
designs and driving making decisions.

 I think most people prefer Slack or Github to mailing lists for this kind
> of thing.

+1 for this point. Slack or Github is more accessible for users asking
questions, and Github is more search engine friendly I guess?

The other concern is whether the discussions will be getting attention from
> other project contributors. I.e. if someone is looking for help, are they
> getting it?
> We should at least informally monitor the situation here.

It's easy to filter unanswered questions in Github Discussion. It's not a
complete solution, but it provides useful statistics for the status.

Also, if there are a lot of questions about the roadmap, I think we should
> discuss and make good milestones for the project that are decoupled from
> releases.

It's not about roadmap only, but all kinds of user questions around.