To be fair to the log4j team, version 1.12.x went into maintenance mode back in
2007 and they did a couple of minor updates in 2010 and 2012.

People have had nearly a decade since the last maintenance release to remove
this old dependency and plan/implement an upgrade to the 2.x.x releases.

This is more akin to asking the JMeter team to support JMeter 2.  I would fully
expect you to say move to the latest version where we have fixed this issue, I
wouldn’t expect you to patch JMeter 2, 3, 4, and 5.

How long should something that is dead be supported?