Yes there are still people using COBOL, changing that is not a case of
upgrading a library though, so it’s really a straw man argument.

There is nothing stopping people from forking log4j and using their own fork,
if that’s a better option for them than upgrading to a 2.x version of log4j,
they should do that.

The problem with making an official release that fixes 1.x.x is that you are
officially supporting it and you will be expected to support other changes.  I
can see why the log4j team would not want to do that, it’s a waste of time and
effort and they only have so much time to spend on (probably not paid) open
source work.

As you have noted fixes for 3.x and 4.x versions of JMeter would be hard
because you use gradle to build now instead of Ant.  I would suggest that the
time required to fix these old versions, get the build environment up and
running again and the release config set up is probably just not worth the
effort.  Just ask people to move to the latest version.

If you want to support obsolete versions, and have the time to do it, that’s
totally up to you (and fair play to you).  However I would suggest that it
would be more valuable to use that time and effort on making the current
version better and encouraging/helping  people to stop using the obsolete stuff.

It’s a fact that nothing can be supported forever.  There comes a point where
you have to bite the bullet and upgrade, or build something newer which is a
better fit for current problems.