This sounds great, thanks David.

One thought: what do you think about doing something similar for the
JoinGroup request?

When you only have broker logs and not client logs, it's somewhere between
challenging and
impossible to determine the reason for a rebalance that was triggered
explicitly by the client or
even the user. For example, when a followup rebalance is requested to
assign the revoked
partitions after a cooperative rebalance. Or any of the many reasons we
trigger a rebalance
in Kafka Streams, via the #enforceRebalance API.

Perhaps we could add a parameter to that method as such:

public void enforceRebalance(final String reason);

Then we can add that to the JoinGroup request/ConsumerProtocol. Not only
would it help to
log this reason on the broker side, the information about who requested the
rebalance and why
could be extremely useful to have available to the group leader/partition
assignor on the client
side.

Cheers,
Sophie