Alberto wrote:

> Agree but the main difference in my opinion is not the number of strings, it
> is not what stops most of the teams that i am contact with.

In my experience, the number of strings is an issue.

It is fairly easy to get a team to commit to translating 1 000 strings.
Getting the same team  to commit to translate 22 000 (OOo 1.1.x)  or
35 175 strings ( OOo 2.0) is another issue.

> think in the seven different ways that variables appear in OOo...

That is an additional problem. And one that can be fixed, by somebody
who can read code, walking thru the entire code base, and making the
appropriate changes. [I'll also point out that making that change will
make it easier to maintain the code base in the future.]

> or the lack of contextual information for translators.

That is a significant issue.

> already something on progress in that direction, D&D are going to love to
> hear this...Pootle. It is not bullet proof but it does many things

+1

> I am sure that we can drop that list two 250-300 languages (i am working on

That might be an initial target.

With the inroads FLOSS is making in third world countries, I expect
that built in support for at least 500 languages will be needed. [I'll
skip what happens when First Nations decide that it is a tool to
preserve their cultural heritage.]

> provide a good technical definition of each of terms so translators can
> UNDERSTAND what they are translating.

+1

> Call it, OOo localization toolkit ready to go!

Nice name.

> Language->Fonts->Script Support->Locale->MS ID->Spellchecker->Edit your
> patches->Submit

I think MS ID's have to eliminated.
Just use the ISO codes.  ---- though they make it tricky when creating
a User Interface in both Dwamish and Salish.[As one example.]

> What is the name of your language?

Replace that question with "What is the ISO name for your language?"
{I've forgotten the ISO standard for language names.]

> Does your language use the same fonts that english?

Either eliminate that question, or ask "Does your language require
Unicode Private Space glyphs?"

Also need to ask questions about the writing system.
EG: Mongolian --- are you going to write it with the Latin writing
system, the Cyrillic Writing System or the Mongolian Writing System?
Or Kurdish, do you use the Cyrillic, Latin, or Arabic Writing system?
[Ditto for Turkish, except you can also dd Greek to the list.]

xan

jonthon
--
Does your Office Suite conform to ISO Standards?