Hi Alberto,

On Thu, Sep 01, 2005 at 18:15:55 +0200, Alberto Escudero-Pascual wrote:

> [This message is a fork from the thread (OOoCon presentation: i18n for
> l10n)]

Creating a real new thread and not just changing the subject IMHO would
had been better, because in a threading mail client the mail still is
burried in the old thread. At least one sees a subject change. Anyway..

> > > - Include as many languages as possible by default in the source code
> > > limiting the number of patches to submit.
> >
> > This sounds somehow strange to me. This imply we know all languages that
> > will be included in the near future or include ALL languages that are
> > spoken on this planet. The "Ethnologue" from 1996 knows 8717 languages,
> > 400 of them are already dead. Then you have a factor for dialects and/or
> > different regions. This will consume 5 years of Eike,Ivo,Pavel's life to
> > integrate all known locales, patches , etc... You need several months to
> > translate those 250000 (?) strings and 4* 15 minutes for patch creation
> > is to much?
>
> I am sure that we can drop that list two 250-300 languages (i am working
> on that list now) and 1/3 of the necessary patches can be almost created
> automatically, e.g. include all Microsoft languages IDs patches in
> advance etc. KDE has that approach.

Note that all LCIDs that I could get hold of on 3 different MS web pages
are included in recent OOo1.9.x milestones. CWS locales201 adds another
few that were added with their XP-SP2 and are listed on yet another web
page. For all these LCIDs I also defined the ISO codes mappings. The
only thing that is missing for some of those locales in order to be able
to select the language in a multi-language installation and as character
attribution for spell-checker purposes are the entries for the language
listbox in langtab.src. For those to be added we need for every
language/locale its name in English and in German (which I regret that
we still have to provide German entries). These have to be verified by
our "linguist in charge". So if someone would come up with such a list
of missing locales that fits our current naming scheme "Language"
respectively "Language (Region)" if more than one region is covered, we
could get things started.

However, I would not recommend to include all languages the Ethnologue
knows, not even a fraction thereof, for two reasons. One is, the
language list would grow unnecessary large, means would had to be taken
to change the ISO code mapping to some hash map or RB tree for
performance reasons (which wouldn't be a bad idea anyway), and the user
would have to scroll a seemingly endless list. Second and more important
is, we would list languages we weren't even able to support, such as
languages with unhandled script types like Mongolian_Mongolian. Which
btw should also be checked for a list that completed the MS-LCIDs.

> That glossary +
> definitions does not exist today in OOo.

Well, there were/are
http://l10n.openoffice.org/localization/OpenOffice_Glossary.html
and
http://l10n.openoffice.org/localization/MultiLanguage_OO_Glossary.sdc

Just that nobody kept them up-to-date, nor were descriptive comments
added. These are orphaned, so a good start would be to adapt them to
reality and keep them updated.

  Eike

--
 OOo/SO Calc core developer. Number formatter bedevilled I18N transpositionizer.
 GnuPG key 0x293C05FD:  997A 4C60 CE41 0149 0DB3  9E96 2F1A D073 293C 05FD