On 9/1/05, Ivo Hinkelmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi Jonathon,
>
> Jonathon Blake wrote:
>
> > iv) String context.   The English word can be translated two or more
> > ways in the target language.  [OOo 1.0.0 through 1.1.4 French has some
> >  interesting examples of the English being incorrectly translated.]
>
> This is a common problem in string based translation, any suggestion how
> to solve this ?

We had a talk with David about this some time ago, I believe he is
working on it. Of course, we could make corrections by hand but this
breaks version management inside translation team. We could make all
strings unique, but this makes translation files huge... I dont wanna
see 500 times in one file strings 'Syntax' and 'Example' :)

> > v) Converting the material to be translated into a format that the
> > translation tools that a team is familiar with can use.
>
> IMHO there is a bunch of formats supported now ? sdf, xliff, po, ...
> What is your preferend format ?

Translation sources are regenerated with every milestone (about 2
times in week) and made available in sdf and pot (po-template) format
by i10n team (Pavel).

> > QA for translations can not be done by running one or two tools.  It
> > requires several people to read everything two or three times, to
> > catch the types, mis-translations and other errors.
>
> I can not give an answer because I am not familar with QA

I cannot imagine such a tools, exept spellchecker what we are using by
translation. When particular language hasn't advanced tools for
context sensitive and syntax checking, this means it has them not -
equal which methods team uses for translation work.

Ain Vagula