Ale,

If non-pootle users still want to use TMs it is possible to use OmegaT too.

I should have thought about that a couple of weeks ago, before going
around looking for info on PO editors and all the rest. I think I've
missed the point in which OmegaT started supporting PO files... :o(

Sincerely, I really wondered why you werre not considering it when you started asking your questions about PO files here and there :)

We are now working on the OLH translation with poEdit and most of the
translators are complaining about the change: for a translator OmegaT is
just way better than any PO editor.

Especially if you work intensively with TMs.

I've tried doing what Jean-Cristophe suggested above and seen that it
could work. The only issue is that some TM matches will make no sense
because OmegaT take the tags into consideration while computing the
match percentage. For instance, for the following segment:

Ok, the problem is that PO files are not supposed to contain XML strings :)

Hence the suggestion that a little tweaking of the existing filters would provide better matches with the original .sdf files.

But I've worked with OOo sdf->po converted files in the past and had no problem getting over this issue.

I have not yet checked the current files' contents but if it is more about text than links then you'd rather use OmegaT with your TMX files.

Given all this, I would say that OmegaT could be the solution here. At
least for the Italian community which is used to this tool and
appreciate its features. I'm going to give it a try. One of the things
we'll have to pay attention to is whether the translated file are
correct and can be imported painlessly into Sun database as an .sdf
file. I'll send Sun a few translated files to test this and will report
back as soon as the check is done.

This is my worry also. So you should give it a try first with a short file.

One thing is not clear, though: why should I need to run msgcat? Can't I
just work with a bunch of separated po files and directories in a tree
structure (basically what I get when I run oo2po on the .sdf file)?

msgcat was suggested by the original PO file developer. See if that works without it.

JC