Thomas Lange - Sun Germany - ham02 - Hamburg wrote:
Hi Ruud,

Thomas Lange - Sun Germany - ham02 - Hamburg schreef:
Hi all,

Olivier R. wrote:
Per Eriksson a écrit :

I would like to know the status for 64400. What is the current status?
I would like to know also what solution will be applied.

It would useful to prepare dictionaries accordingly.
It is planned that hyphens should become part of the word as recognized
by the breakiterator. The ecxact types of hyphens and languages where to
apply this (probably all western languages at least, maybe all
languages) is still up for discussion. From my point of view I currently
see no reason why the same behavior should not be applied to all languages.
It would be best to have a design that has a language dependend word-iteration. Which chars can and cannot be part of a word is rather depending on the language, plus the programmed behaviour of the components below that.
For Dutch, the -, the ' (under certain circumstances) are word chars.

The breakiterator is locale specific and thus can be cusomized for each
language. Still the question remains if that change should only be
applied to every language listed in the issue or by default to all
language since probably all are going to benfit from it.
If I understand correcly, this should not be applied to all languages. Spanish -when used correctly- attaches hyphens to normal words as I just did in this sentence, unlike English - which separates the hyphens from the words - as I just did. Microsoft word used to break spanish spell-checking because of this. This cannot be changed for all languages, only specifically for those who ask for it, otherwise many spellcheckers might break.

Javier

Thomas