Hi,

2009/8/28 Thomas Lange - Sun Germany - ham02 - Hamburg <thomas.la...@sun.com>:

> Hi all,
>
> Ruud Baars wrote:
>> Together with one of the people of OOo we have tested our newest
>> dictionary for Dutch, using the new way OOo 3.2  treats words with
>> hyphens in the middle.
>>
>> I am happy to be able to inform you our tests were successfull.
>> And indeed, it is a promising improvement for Dutch.

I'm glad of it.

>> Even more when we will be able to finally finish our dictionary that
>> uses compounding algorithms.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Ruud
>>

> One curious question just popped up in my mind though:
>
> Since Firefox and Thunderbird can use Hunspell dictionaries at least as
> add-on (don't know if otherwise they are still using Myspell
> dictionaries), but for both applications the hyphen is still a word
> breaker, does it mean they have to use different dictionary versions?
> Or will it still be possible to share the dictionaries system wide?
> Since that is what most Linux installation currently do.

It is the task of the dictionary developers to check and decide about
the modifications.
They could provide different dictionaries for Firefox and
OpenOffice.org, too. 98% of the users use Windows and Firefox with its
bundled dictionaries.

For example, this modification has very limited impact for English.
Some of the related words (words only in hyphenated compounds), for
example "scot" is missing from the recent en_US dictionary, so the
word "scot-free" is already incorrectly stated as spelling mistake in
Firefox and OpenOffice.org.

I believe, this modification forces to fix imperfect spell checking of
Firefox. For example, lack of abbreviation (ambiguous dot/full stop)
handling is an old spell checking problem of Firefox, too. (But the
most annoying problem for me is the size limited on-the-fly spell
checking in text areas and the lack of the paragraph based automatic
language detection.)

Best regards,

László