What if RTC only applied to the primary branch, release-2.x? We've had changes
like this[1] which I discovered after the fact and wish we'd had a chance to
discuss before it merged. Pushing changes prior to review is faster and easier
for the committer, but ultimately creates an arduous process for reviewers.
I've found it harder to have retroactive
conversations about changes that have already merged.

-ck

1. https://lists.apache.org/thread/qn9b22fqv4yzg6jb114ovso40fnc1k0n