>> Why are you pissed? I am sorry if I would be the reason
>
> 1. I indicated I didn’t want changing to Jekyl to be the reason for
> changing to Jekyll. So far, that appears to be the reason. I thought
> you mentioned something about getting CI to work but the current
> process could have been automated as well.

No, that's not the reason. Switching to Jekyll would mean easy updates, data
files, SCSS support.

> 2. Switching to Jekyll seems to have changed the target directory with
> dire consequences. As I stated, my experience with the ASF “CMS” is
> that you can “layer” web sites on top of each other by using sub-dirs
> of the content directory. I don’t recall the details as it has been
> several years since I migrated the web sites from the old CMS to the
> Git tooling provided by infra. But what I did was deliberate and on
> purpose.

The output directory was changed. I took a lot of time (I am not used to
Python) to send 2 PRs to Infra:
https://github.com/apache/infrastructure-p6/pull/1704
https://github.com/apache/infrastructure-p6/pull/1700
To fix the output directory situation.
Both were accepted. The output directory is now working again, as described in
the docs.
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?spaceKey=INFRA&title=git+-+.asf.yaml+features

However, for unknown reasons, the webserver still does not recognize the fix.
That's why I asked for help and eventually created a ticket for Infra to help
return to the old status:

> 3. The final consequence is that it seems that we must now use
> logging-log4j2.staged.apache.org/log4j/2.x
> <http://logging-log4j2.staged.apache.org/log4j/2.x>. Since staging is
> supposed to exactly match live this means the live url now has to be
> logging-log4j2.apache.org/log4j/2.x
> <http://logging-log4j2.apache.org/log4j/2.x>. That is unacceptable.

I agree this is unacceptable, but it is not the case that we must now use this.

I am working towards using the same system as before, using the same URLs
except, instead of jbake, with Jekyll. I am sorry that I ran into bugs I could
not control, but I am not enforcing or promoting a change of URLs just because
there are bugs.

I want it to be "as before". Piotr's proposal contains ideas that have nothing
to do with my tooling change. You could decline it if you wish, without any
effect of the switch to Jekyll.

To summarize:

 - I want to replace jbake with jekyll
 - I don't want to change anything on the URLs
 - I run into Infra bugs, that I fixed myself
 - I now look at a web server mess, that I can't control, and wait for Infra
support

Once Infra helps to sort out the webservers, it should be exactly as before.

Again, I apologize for opening this discussion, it was not my intent. My intent
was to move to a tool that is easier to use (in my opinion), and that helps me
to promote log4j further. It is not the fault of the tooling that the web
server has that hiccup.

I hope you are less pissed now, that you know that we are on the same page. To
be precise, I am pretty much stressed that the docs told me "it would work"
when I had to find out "it doesn't".

Kind regards,
Christian