Maybe we should not make a decision right now? We've talked over the
proposals, and there are pros and cons to each, and clearly two sides. I
think at this point we just have to "try it", whatever "it" is and see if
that works and how it plays. It's like software design - we've played w/
some ideas, now we need to do some coding and get back to the drawing board
and see what played well and what needs revisiting.

So maybe, as an exercise, we should not *really* change anything but do what
was raised on another thread --> branch off pre-flex. Allow some time for
people to backport contributions they've made post-flex to that branch.
Especially contributions which do not depend on flex. Then we call that
branch 3.1. The exercise will tell us (to some degree) how much interest is
there in backporting. If only few issues will be backported (I plan to do
some), then the result is not unequivocal. However if we see many of the
contributions are backported, we can at least assume it will be so in the
future as well, because there is interest. Then, we can come back to this
thread and decide what to do w/ flex (which will live in trunk, still) --
should be it the next 4.0, or maybe the decision will change and it will be
the next 3.2.

Since flex is already backported, we don't lose anything. If the decision
will be to make it 4.0, then some work will be done to get rid of the
back-compat layers, perhaps clean the API etc. Otherwise, it will leave in
trunk for some more time for people to more easily consume it.

If another such great feature comes along (which is expected to change a lot
of code), I think it'd be safe to start developing it w/ no back-compat in
mind anyway, irregardless of the policy ...

What do you think?

Shai