On 4/26/10 8:23 AM, Robert Muir wrote:

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 8:15 AM, Mark Miller <markrmil...@gmail.com
<mailto:markrmil...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    It's not that simple. If you want to commit a patch without having
    it reverted, you *do* have to do certain things - currently, you
    have to attempt back compat. Or don't commit. You guys seem to think
    its a free for all. Its obviously not. Their are general guidelines
    we all follow, formed by consensus. Committers are not just doing
    whatever they want.

And we should make it easier for people to contribute. Perhaps back
compat is a feature that isn't everyone's itch to scratch, you know,
just like any other feature. This would make it easier for people to
contribute/commit improvements to lucene (into the unstable only), and
perhaps there would be more committers and contributors after a while.

Right now its a pretty high bar for someone to contribute an
improvement, and I think the back compat requirement is a big part of that.
--
Robert Muir
rcm...@gmail.com <mailto:rcm...@gmail.com>

That's why we are talking about a proposal that would change our back compat commitments.

--
- Mark

http://www.lucidimagination.com