+1 to more frequent releases.  I think we are already seeing 3x being pushed
forward as the stable version for users wishing to do some development of
their own.

I am more than happy to work with whoever on the maven issues as I feel that
it is really important to keep making maven releases.  Maven does have a
release plugin, similar to what you want to build for ant, perhaps that can
provide some inspiration?

Chris